"More than one way to skin a cat" revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 14 04:29:43 UTC 2007

At 10:39 AM -0500 8/11/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>     An ads-l message of mine several years ago
>mentioned that "more than one way to skin a cat"
>referred originally to skinning a catfish, not a
>feline.  I quoted a Dear Abby letter from
>someone who sounded very knowledgeable on the
>subject and who said that there are long
>discussions by fishermen along the Mississippi
>about the best way to skin a catfish (frequently
>referred to simply as a "cat.")
>
>     I was surprised to find this interpretation
>controversial on ads-l, and one respondent
>cautioned me that a Dear Abby letter is not a
>scholarly source and hence not convincing.  At
>least one or two respondents thought it
>plausible that the reference was originally to a
>feline.

How does this adage relate to the one that tells
us that there are more ways to kill a cat than by
drowning it in butter?  When I was just writing
this, I had the strangest feeling of déjà vu, and
sure enough...cf.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0310D&L=ads-l&D=1&P=3584

Four years later, I'm still not sure whether
you're claiming that the resemblance between the
drowning in butter dictum, where we can be pretty
sure no catfish were harmed in the production,
and the skinning-the-cat dictum is coincidental.
(I first came across the drowning-cats-in-butter
adage in a reference by the English linguistic
philosopher J. L. Austin, so it's not *just* in
French that this method is considered, hopefully
only in an academic sense.)  I'm not sure how the
demonstration below that there are indeed more
ways than one to skin a catfish, which I'm
certainly willing to grant, can be decisive here,
much as we ailurophiles may prefer it to be so.

LH