messed-up postings

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 18 02:55:30 UTC 2007

You could try setting _Composing Message Format_ to _Plain Text_ under
_Composing_ in _Preferences_ in Mail.app or you could use Gmail. They
both work for me on my old eMac. My own preference is for Gmail. All
of your mail, incoming and outgoing, is saved on Google's servers,
unless you specifically go out of your way to delete it. So, even if
you delete *all* of your mail by accident, you can still get it back.
So far, Google's servers have not been hacked. Again, you have to be
sure to set the app to Plain Text. If you see _Rich formatting >>_ on
your outgoing messages, Gmail is set to Plain Text. Strange, but true.

-Wilson

On 8/16/07, Dennis Baron <debaron at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Baron <debaron at UIUC.EDU>
> Subject:      messed-up postings
>
> I don't know why my posts to ADS-l arrive with strange characters and
> symbols in them.  That doesn't happen when I post them to other
> lists, and in my experience the ADS list postings often display with
> various corruptions or interruptions in them.  So I assume that the
> ADS server translates line breaks, hyphens, or other symbols that it
> can't read into their code equivalent.  Perhaps the list moderators
> can check into this?  I use apple's Mail program on a Mac powerbk,
> and sometimes I paste in text created in MS word for mac.  I know how
> annoying it can be to get posts with these sorts of interruptions in
> the text, and if anyone can advise me how to avoid that happening,
> I'll take whatever steps I need to "clean up" the posts (so long as I
> don't have to switch to a windows computer, which I don't have).
>
> Dennis

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens