Roll up the sidewalks

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Mon Aug 20 20:22:57 UTC 2007

I was under the impression there was a law requiring
this action in NY and many other states "for all towns and
villages with fewer than 1.5 traffic control signal lights
and/or populations of fewer than 1000 residents, including
persons who reside in the town or village only a (warm or
cold) portion of the year."
It most certainly _is_ a common practice in most such entities,
some of which are laughingly referred to as "municipalities".
(the other) doug
I've been using the expression "roll up the sidewalks" since the 1970s, at
least.  Turns out that I didn't coin it, though.  Checking the likely files
in Proquest turns it up in 1937, then 1941, &c.

It has even been charged by many would-be humorists that at 9 o'clock in the
evening we roll up the sidewalks, knowing there will be no further need for
them that night.
Lee Shippey, "The Lee Side of L. A.", Los Angeles Times, April 19, 1937.

Any earlier cites?

GAT