"you pays your money"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Aug 21 17:29:29 UTC 2007

One imporant locus for this quotation -- I've always assumed that it
was the original one, but now I'm not so sure -- is from Twain's
Huckleberry Finn.  Huck, Jim, the Duke and the King land in some
southern town (maybe in Arkansas?) where a family awaits the
arrival of two far-flung, previously unmet cousins upon the death of
a local relative whose estate is being divided up.  The King and the
Duke, being expert con artists, have been impersonating the
cousins for some time (the King at one point engages in  this
hilarious malapropism-laced monologue about "funeral orgies")
when the REAL cousins suddenly arrive, I believe during the actual
funeral.  At that point, someone in the astonished and confused
funeral party remarks, "you pays your money and you makes your
choice."

I'll find that passage and send it along.

Joanne