Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Wed Aug 22 11:26:36 UTC 2007

From:    "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>

> do a search on "seeked".  lotsa stuff, including a "seeked banned"
> 'sought to be banned'!

I haven't looked at the "needs Xed" construction beyond reading a few of
the articles on it, but it occurs to me an interesting parallel that
"needed banned" would mean (for my grammar) 'needed to be banned'.

FWIW, BTW, i say "highlit" 'highlighted' and "collid" 'collided'.
They're both--especially the last one--strong enough that i usually
unintentionally use my nonstandard forms when reading, say, newspaper
articles that contain the standard forms.

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida