jargon = "word or phrase in common usage that is disapproved by a special-interest group"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 22 19:42:01 UTC 2007

Remember my post on "product evangelism" ?  That's the name given to using every legal (and conceivably legal) dodge imaginable to push your wares, never forgetting that one sucker per minute is too few.  Compare the following.

  A short article in _Harper's_ (Nov., 1992, p. 33) was based on a piece in _Texas Longhorn Trails_,  self-described as "the official publication of the Texas Longhorn Breeders Association of America."  The salt-of-the-earth cattlemen and cattlewomen observed that "An important part of media and spokesperson training is making sure that the words you use convey the meaning you intend."

  Amen, cattle-dudes and -dudettes.  However, the people who help feed the world with burgers then offer a list of "words you should try to replace with alternatives, especially when talking to a general audience."

  I will bore you with only a few exx., the point being that the patty-producers identify the _words needing replacement_ as  "Jargon."

  First, the Orwellian "Jargon." After the equals sign, the square-shootin' "Alternatives":

  "slaughter  =  process/ harvest/ go to market"

  "pain  =   short-term discomfort"

  "factory farming  =  family farming"

  "operator  =  farmer/ rancher"

  "rape the land  =  care for the land"

  So avoid "jargon" !   You don't have to be a vegansexual to find something that "tastes and smells bad" about this B.S.

  That was fifteen years ago.  "Spin science" ( a term I think I just coined but fear otherwise) has undoubtedly made dramatic strides since then.

  JL

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?