jargon = "word or phrase in common usage that is disapproved by a special-interest group"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 22 21:52:49 UTC 2007

I can add  that _Harper's_ is a "source usually considered trustworthy," at least by gullible me. The magazine quoted _Texas Longhorn Trails_ as describing the "jargon" words as "words that don't send a positive image to the general public."

  For the record, here is the remaining "jargon" and "alternatives" that _Harper's_ says it drew from the cattle-raisers:

  "drugs/ chemicals  = compounds/ health products/ pharmaceuticals

  "hormones   =  growth promotants

  "fat cattle  =  market-ready cattle

  "welfare ranching  =  cattle grazing on public lands

  "operation  =  farm/ ranch

  "castrate/ cut  = neuter"

  The suggested replacement of "castrate" with "neuter" seems relatively innocuous to me, as does "market-ready" for "fat."

  JL