Firstmention.com; Texas Proverbs

Barry Popik bapopik at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 23 18:13:59 UTC 2007

 In a message dated 8/23/2007 2:03:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cdoyle at UGA.EDU writes:

I doubt if any of these purported Texas witticisms can properly be called
"proverbs"--much less "old . . . proverbs."

--Charlie

This came through from Gmail: "Life is like a jar of jalape=F1os." How
difficult is it to send a Gmail or AOL e-mail to this list and have the next
fellow read it properly? Do I have to write "jalapenos"?
FYI, LBJ used one of these proverbs:
(GOOGLE BOOKS)
 Confessions of a Muckraker: *The* Inside Story of Life *in* Washington
During *the* Truman, Eisenhower ... - Page
161<http://books.google.com/books?id=9ie_oPC-gCwC&q=%22cow%27s+tail%22+%22in+the+face%22&dq=%22cow%27s+tail%22+%22in+the+face%22&ei=Ds3NRreoO4ia7AK3yvn8CQ&ie=ISO-8859-1>by
Jack Anderson, James Boyd - Biography & Autobiography - 1979 - 354 pages
*...* to the end that he would boil over, and in Lyndon Johnson's phrase,
"lift up
the *cow's tail* and look the situation straight *in the face*. *...*