Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Aug 24 14:42:15 UTC 2007

Just one more example of acc. used for nom.--surprising even to me:  On NPR
this morning, a female commentator (name?) reported that "Her and her
husband" (or father, or whatever--can't recall) had to do something or
other.  This isn't hypercorrection in the usual sense of the word; it's
typical colloquial speech probably used under the pressure of a brief
unscripted news report from the field.  I heard something similar from my
Linguistics department chair recently, come to think of it, and my grad
students do this often in colloquial speech.

Beverly