clinker = "jail"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 24 22:58:22 UTC 2007

Reminds me--I was going to check, after visiting "The Clink" on the
South Bank in London a few years ago, to see if it really is the
origin of the generic slang term for prisons the way the tour claims.
Just checking the OED and HDAS now, I see they do endorse this
story--restores one's faith in tourist hucksterism.  (Although
according to Grose, it seems like the nickname of that particular
prison in turn derives from the clinking sound of the prisoners'
chains.)  "The clinker" would be one more link on the etymological
chain.

LH