Alleged old saying

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Aug 27 12:52:28 UTC 2007

The last clause, "The hit (bit) dog (always) howls (barks, hollers)," is recorded as a proverb in Mieder (et al.)'s _Dictionary of American Proverbs_ (1992), p. 161; and also in Whiting's _Proverbs and Proverbial Sayings [from North Carolina]_ (1952), p. 398. Whiting cites instances from the 1930s (in several parts of the South). My records suggest that it was current in the 19th century.

Another "synonymous" (and no doubt older) proverb would be "Let the galled jade wince."

--Charlie