positionality = "social status or position"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 29 14:28:07 UTC 2007

My "evidence" (such as it is) comes from many years of observing that my students from the North or from the non-"Southern"-speaking suburbs of Atlanta find my "dubya" pronunciation risable. I have assumed that the pronunciation is a consequence of postvocalic "l-dropping." (Just yesterday, one such student objected to my l-less pronunciation of his name, William.) But I have no HARD evidence!

--Charlie