Boys Town or Boy's Town or Boys' Town (Mexican brothels near Texas border)

Wed Aug 29 21:59:08 UTC 2007

Re: " just how hung mickey rooney was/is. .  ."

I am pretty sure hour is still alive, He recently crested a scandal for kissing the Queen,s hand.

------Original Message------
From: Arnold M. Zwicky
Sender: American Dialect Society
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
ReplyTo: American Dialect Society
Sent: Aug 29, 2007 2:17 PM
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Boys Town or Boy's Town or Boys' Town (Mexican             brothels near             Texas border)

On Aug 29, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> ... When he first started to tell me his war stories, I'd freak,
> since I'd
> grown up Catholic in the heyday of Father Flanagan's Boys' Town. There
> was even a movie, which I saw, made about the place. It took a while
> for me to adjust to the slang usage.

several movies.  you're probably thinking about the 1938 movie Boys
Town, starring Spencer Tracey and Mickey Rooney.

the imdb has the tagline: The life story of a boy who was "born to be
hung"!  [well, hanged.  just how hung mickey rooney was/is i don't
know.]

there was a 1941 sequel Men of Boys Town, with the same stars.

arnold