more lost subjunctive; protest at

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 1 19:34:23 UTC 2007

If this be a shift in usage, what can you do? And, given that it's so
hard to understand, why in hell is it becoming so popular? The person
who wrote that headline should be getting the forty lashes.

OT: Should there be anyone who doesn't already know, the lashes are
applied incrementally and not all at once. The lashee is allowed to
heal between sets of lashings. For dekkids, I'd wondered how slaves
and seamen lived through those twenty to 100 lashes that you read
about. It still seems stupid, though. The slave / seaman could be
working instead of healing.

-Wilson

On Dec 1, 2007 1:48 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: more lost subjunctive; protest at
>
> At first I couldn't understand what the damned unsubjunctified headline meant.
>
>   And I've been following the news story.
>
>   JL
>
> James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens