slave names [Was: "Jazz (etc.)]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Dec 4 00:21:04 UTC 2007

In the index to Lorenzo Greene's The Negro in
Colonial New England, 1620–1776 (New York:
Columbia University Press, 1942; reprint 1969),
Cuffee (8 individuals) is second in frequency
only to Caesar (12) and equal to Pompey (8), in
all cases including variant spellings.  (Cato,
not surprisingly, is infrequent.)  I do not have
a record of other day names besides Cuffee, but they were less frequent.

Joel