Tortilla Soup/Aztec Soup

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Dec 4 01:01:56 UTC 2007

At 12/3/2007 03:41 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>...  (i see that "croque monsieur" and
>"souvlaki" have made the cut.)

But not "croque madame".  Is there still gender bias in the OED?  (As
well as on the web: 77,000 Google hits -- including, he said
arthrously,* The Wikipedia -- compared with 637,000 for "croque monsieur".)

* Not in OED3, nor is "arthrous".  Do I have an antedating?

>... (the only google hit i got for "domozoic" was a website claiming to
>trace the Levitical prohibition against eating shellfish to the
>possibility of poisoning by domozoic acid.  i am dubious.)

"The reason is not explained in the Tora."  Alfred J. Kolatch, _The
Jewish Book of Why_ (1981), p. 89.

Joel