Intersexual/gender-neutral pronouns

Tue Dec 4 02:29:57 UTC 2007

Is there a consensus today on a pronoun to use for someone who takes
both (or neither sex), or for someone whose sex you don't know?

http://www.aetherlumina.com/gnp/faq.html#net says, "The two most popular
seem to be 'sie, hir, hir, hirs, hirself', (especially 'hir'), and 'zie,
zir, zir, zirs, zirself'."

I would like to know if there is a most common or preferred way to refer
to someone who doesn't take a gender.

(As an aside, this Website is the first place where I've ever seen an
indication of the true meaning of FAQ. It says" 3.1. Are all these
questions really frequently asked? No." Indeed, a FAQ is a way of
presenting information about a subject in a QA format not necessarily
informed by questions.)

Benjamin Barrett
a cyberbreath for language life
livinglanguages.wordpress.com