The Broncks', the borough of my childhood, fades away

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 5 19:46:31 UTC 2007

At 2:00 PM -0500 12/5/07, Mark Mandel wrote:
>On Dec 5, 2007 12:03 PM, David Donnell <David.Donnell at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>  The NYC street I live on is widely known as "the Bowery", but the
>>  official street name is just "Bowery".
>>
>>  Also, I'm not aware of any other NYC street names that are just one
>>  word--Bowery has no "Street" or "Avenue", etc, as part of the name.
>>

>Broadway.
>
>m a m

Not to mention West Broadway and East Broadway.  I suppose it might
maintained that these do have a '"Street" or "Avenue", etc, as part
of the name', at least historically (even if opaquely).

LH