"nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917))]

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Dec 10 14:16:31 UTC 2007

I think 'renege' came into English in the 16th Cent., and it might
have been subject to the sporadic raising of /e/ (BET) to /I/ (BIT)
that was common in Late Middle English (and has, in fact, continued).
Such pronunciations as /yIs/ (yes) and /yist at rdI/ were common
(standard) in older varieties of Brit. Eng. and certainly not unknown
on this side of the pond

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose
>               Like" (1917))]
>
>Can anyone explain the relationship between the spelling "renege"
>and the (standard) pronciation of the final syllable as [-nIg]?
>
>--Charlie

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English