food [?] (service) words

Mon Dec 10 20:45:40 UTC 2007

"Segue" is a common musical term, classical and
otherwise. From Italian (naturally) "seguire", to
follow, to pursue, to proceed.  It means continue to
the next section, movement, song, etc. without break,
interruption, or pause.  I've always heard the "u"
pronounced, although never as "you"; 'seg ("oo" or
schwa) ay, typically as two syllables with the second
being a triphthong, but sometimes as three distinct
syllables.

--- "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

> At 12/10/2007 02:32 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
> >or listen to radio?  I remember it from discussions
> of how to achieve
> >smooth or appropriate or imaginative segues
> (transitions) from one
> >song to the next.  Always "seg-way", never
> "seg-you".
>
> I don't think it's used much about the music I
> listen to (classical).  :-)
> Joel

> The American Dialect Society -
> http://www.americandialect.org