At last. A home for drinkers!

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 14 01:25:44 UTC 2007

At 11:36 AM -0500 12/13/07, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On Dec 13, 2007 10:36 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>
>>  On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Dennis Preston wrote:
>>
>>  > Some of y'all boys lookin fer a place to lay your weary heads after a
>>  > night on the town may want to check out some Oklahoma possibilities.
>>  > One realtor writes about a place as follers:
>>  >
>>  > Wonderful, Unique house located in a very sot after neighborhood.
>>
>>  to be added to my misspellings file.  pretty clearly an ear spelling
>>  by people with the cot/caught merger.
>>
>>  not in any of the four on-line corpora of misspellings that i consulted.
>
>But note that we do have the non-rhotic spelling "sort after" in the ECDB:
>
>http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/130/sort/

My favorite is the one featuring the TV character who "finally get's
the big break he has sort for on a new TV show from America but has
to challenge the love of girlfriend Susie to achieve these
goals"--combining the "sort for" reanalysis with the greengrocer's
apostrophe and a clause (following the "but") that means god only
knows what.

LH