neologism: cyclation

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 16 02:14:50 UTC 2007

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Chicago_Cubs#Alleged_copyright_violation_from_Chicago-Cubs-Tickets_site.
Definition in last paragraph.

*Alleged copyright violation from Chicago-Cubs-Tickets site*

I wrote this [2] under my previous user ID on May 25, 2005. It was entirely
my own writing. So if you've found it on another website, they got it from
us. Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? 14:23, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

    In fact, if you read it, interspersed among their ads you will find a
large chunk of the text from this article. They took it from us and did not
credit it. Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? 14:27, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

        The bastards... Blasted GNU text. --ShadowJester07 ► Talk 15:18, 31
August 2007 (UTC)

            Claiming copyright violation, as that one user did, is the flip
side of the usual: taking something from, say, answers.com and using it as a
citation for the article here that answers.com took it from. I just thought
of a new term for that kind of circular citation: "a cyclation". I'll notify
Webster's at once. Baseball Bugs What's up, Doc? 15:26, 31 August 2007 (UTC)

<<<<<

849 googits for "cyclation", mostly chemistry, with some mathematics plus a
few isolated uses, e.g.:

   - Magic: The Gathering (
   http://forum.tcgplayer.com/showthread.php?p=1118125)
   - Several pages from Japan and/or by non-native speakers, apparently
   for "circulation". The English is sometimes amusing:
      - http://www.nakapoworld.ne.jp/mog_english/mogu-info.html : * In
      thousands of bacteria, two or more sorts of special ones are
more excellent
      in decomposition power and speed, and they are prepared. As a result
      Nakapo's original "NP bacteria" is produced".*

m a m