in a poistion; holy crapsticks

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 17 20:07:38 UTC 2007

At 11:19 AM -0500 12/17/07, Charles Doyle wrote:
>My favorite oldies of the "bad"-deletion sort are "temperature" (as
>in "He running a temperature")

Can the specific use of "temperature" really denote one that's too
low?  For me, it only picks out the fever range, not just any bad
temperature.  Of course the use of a general term to communicate a
taboo specific extends broadly; there are, for example, "drink" (for
+alcoholic), as noun or verb, and intransitive "smell" (not to
mention "smelly").  But then there's "fragrance", which seems to
involve "good" deletion.

LH