Early ADS WOTY nominations posted

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Dec 19 14:04:15 UTC 2007

I like 'wrap rage'; I have scars to prove it. I
was assigned a large class in the auditorium of
the Packaging Building one semester (MSU has a
Packaging Major, but not yet a Holiday Wrapping
Major); I suspected all along I was in the camp
of the enemy, particularly when I saw the hallway
emergency showers.

dInIs

>---------------------- Information from the mail
>header -----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET>
>Subject:      Re: Early ADS WOTY nominations posted
>
>From:    Grant Barrett <gbarrett at WORLDNEWYORK.ORG>
>
>>  I have posted early nominations for the American Dialect Societyís
>>  words-of-the-year vote.
>
>>  http://americandialect.org/woty2007/
>
>Is there some official (to the extent *anything* involved with the WotY
>is official!) way to submit early nominations?
>
>Anyway, i'd like to submit an early nomination of my own: prefixed
>lower-case "i". It's gone beyond Apply products (iPod, iPhone) and stuff
>designed to work with Apple products (iCandy, iHome), and now is used
>for things like personalized web pages (iGoogle) and even package
>openers (iSlice). (i-: The e- for a new millennium!)
>
>I'd also like to nominate "wrap rage" (referring to frustration at
>impenetrable plastic clamshell packaging, and occasionally,
>interestingly enough, the injuries resulting from trying to open such
>packaging), which goes back at least to 2005 via (wait for it!) the
>Colbert Report, but seems to have achieved widespread currency more
>recently.
>
><snip>
>
>--
>David Bowie                               University of Central Florida
>      Jeanne's Two Laws of Chocolate: If there is no chocolate in the
>      house, there is too little; some must be purchased. If there is
>      chocolate in the house, there is too much; it must be consumed.

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English
Morrill Hall 15-C