Digitizing Wright's English Dialect Dictionary

Wed Dec 19 14:06:28 UTC 2007

The table of contents for the International Journal of Lexicography
tipped me off to something I think is outstanding (and has been on my
wish-list for ages): there's a project afoot to digitize Wright's
English Dialect Dictionary.

More information:

---SPEED (Spoken English in Early Dialects), the project which is
undertaking the effort:

http://www.uibk.ac.at/anglistik/projects/speed/index.html

---"Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary (1898-1905)
Computerised: architecture and retrieval routine," by Manfred Markus.
A 524K PDF about some of the work:

http://tinyurl.com/ytk92g

---"The Architecture of Joseph Wright's English Dialect Dictionary:
Preparing the Computerised Version," M. Markus and R. Heuberger,
International Journal of Lexicography 2007 20:355-368. Must be a paid
subscriber to read (although many libraries will have it, too.):

http://ijl.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/20/4/355

Cheers,

Grant Barrett
Double-Tongued Dictionary