Heard in Missouri: "but good!"

Wed Dec 19 18:10:30 UTC 2007

let me try this again; it slipped out of my grasp the first time...

On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:18 AM, David Donnell wrote:

> Question about an expression I just heard: "but good!"
>
> ... The expression never registered with me before, although it
> sounded
> familiar rolling off her tongue; it apparently means something like
> "and how!"

note that it really won't do to define one opaque idioms by another.

> Is anyone familiar with this critter?

it's in the AHD Dictionary of Idioms (1997):

  Emphatically, thoroughly, as in Ruth decided to clean up the whole
yard but good. The word but in this colloquialism functions as an
intensive. Also see _and how_. x

so far as i know, it's general american.  colloquial, but widespread.

arnold