A torcherous eggcorn

Thu Dec 20 02:54:27 UTC 2007

See also

1. Jeremy Sugarman and Ronald R. Butters, “Understanding the Patient: Medical
Words the Doctor May Not know,” North Carolina Medical Journal (July 1985),
415–17.

Jeremy Sugarman and Ronald R. Butters, “More Medical Words the Doctor May Not
Know,” North Carolina Medical Journal (Dec. 1985), 384.

These are so old they are not in my computer (maybe there is electronic
online access, but I doubt it). Somewhere, though, I have paper offprints and will
be happy to send them to you for your folder if you want them. A lot of these
folk terms have, however, been around the block a number of times, so I can't
promise that anything we found will be novel. Of course, there is the
historical perspective (e.g, "Doc, I want a diagram so I can stop getting pregnant").

In a message dated 12/15/07 7:03:33 PM, thnidu at GMAIL.COM writes:

> My sister is an MT/editor/reviewer and sends me things like this all the
> time. I keep a special folder for them, and I'm passing this on to her.
>
> m a m :-)
>
> On Dec 15, 2007 5:15 PM, Seán Fitzpatrick <grendel.jjf at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > I sent Mark Peter's "lack toast and tolerant" to my sister, a physician.
> > Years ago she reported patients at the ER of a slum hospital talking about
> > their "sick-as-hell anemia".  She replied that medical transcriptionists
> > are
> > a fertile source of eggcorns, and they are now digital as well as human.
> > Most are amusing only to people familiar with the correct form; her
> > current
> > favorite:
> >        "'vaginal vortex delivery' . Presumably the baby spins out of
> > control. The correct            term is 'vaginal vertex delivery' meaning
> > 'head first'".
> > It was her daughter who added to family folklore when she returned from
> > McDonald's and announced that she had had "chicken maggots".
> >
> > Seán Fitzpatrick
> > It's a Gnostic thing. You wouldn't understand.
> > http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/

See AOL's top rated recipes