Heard in Missouri: "but good!"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 20 15:45:34 UTC 2007

Ron,

'Bad' don't modify 'good' in my sentence. 'Bad' is the adjectival
complement of "hurt him" and "good" is the adverbial modifier of the
VP + complements "hurt him bad." "Plumb good" (quantifier of adverb)
don't sound so bad to me, not no different from 'really good."

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       ronbutters at AOL.COM
>Subject:      Re: Heard in Missouri: "but good!"
>
>But not "He hurt him plumb good"--at least, that sounds "wrong" to
>me. Is PLUMB an adverb that cannot modify another adverb (unlike
>BAD)?

15C Morrill Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824