pseudo-etymology of "news"

Thu Dec 20 17:25:10 UTC 2007

Well, somewhat to my surprise, this proved of interest to someone here.

"Coincidentally to your newspaper quote about the spurious origin of
"news", a reader wrote in to ask if this were really the origin. I propose
to quote your find from the Morning Courier & New-York Enquirer of 23
April 1842 in the piece (which is scheduled for 29 December) but wonder if
you have more of the quotation available, preferably immediately before
the bit you cited?"  Michael Quinion, Editor, World Wide Words

So, here is the full 2 sentence text:
Origin of the word "NEWS"  [the headline]  "News" is not, as many imagine, derived from the adjective "New".  In former times, it was a prevalent practice to put over the periodical publications of the day the initial letters of the cardinal points of the compass, thus: --

importing that these papers contained intelligence from the four quarters of the globe; and from this practice is derived the term of newspaper.
Morning Courier & New-York Enquirer, April 23, 1842, p. 3, col. 2.

The headline is in italics, the words News and New int the text are in small capitals.

GAT

George A. Thompson