tight as a tick

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Dec 22 13:51:21 UTC 2007

Colleagues,

Here's a serious correction for the holidays: I don't know who this
"dInIs" is, but he cites me (Preston 1975) incorrectly (for both date
of publication and content). In that study I found "tight as a tick"
to refer to both stretched, taut, etc... (fitting the Couric use) as
well as drunkenness. The only restricted "tights" reported there are
"tight as a clam" and "tight as the bark on a tree," both of which
referred only to stinginess.

Dennis (R. Preston, not Baron, in fact, the Dennis descended from no
royalty whatsoever, even in family legend, in spite of the tendency
for most Hungarians to do so)

preston at msu.edu