Christian Christmas v. Regular Christmas?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Sat Dec 22 16:05:44 UTC 2007

And this from one of my favorite lists (Overheard in NY -- Best Weekly
Quotes):
Can We Get a Tree and Go Crypto?
Girl: Oh, look how pretty they are! Can we pleeease get a Christmas tree? A
little one?
Guy: Uh, no.
Girl: Well, why not?
Guy: Because we're Jewish.

--Astor Pl & Lafayette

Overheard by: Couple passing by

(the other) doug
---

I spose y'all wouldn't be surprised at all if friends told you they
were driving to (fill in the sin city of your local stereotype) for a
good old-fashioned atheist Christmas.

Back to the topic (as I see it). . .

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: Christian Christmas v. Regular Christmas?
----

>At 8:28 PM -0500 12/21/07, David Donnell wrote:
>>Twice today I found myself surprised by the phrase "Christian Christmas".
>>
>>First, in some article about "Christian Christmas" being celebrated in
Iran.

>>Second, my wife (a South African who grew up celebrating Xmas,
>>nominally Christian) informed me that some friends of ours were
>>"driving home to South Carolina for a Christian Christmas".
>>
>>Stop me before I go on... Should I be so surprised by "Christian
Christmas"?

>Less surprised than by the Jewish ones.
>
>LH

Dennis R. Preston