Early ADS WOTY nominations posted

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 23 02:32:51 UTC 2007

The China link is also how I remember it... and you need look no further
than Google's first two hits for confirmation: Wikipedia (of course), and
then PBS. The openings:

Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_Pong_Diplomacy>:
Ping Pong Diplomacy (Chinese: 乒乓外交) refers to the exchange of ping pong
players of the United States and People's Republic of China (PRC) in the
1970s. The event marked a thaw in U.S.-China relations that paved the way to
a visit to Beijing by President Richard Nixon.

PBS, The American Experience | Nixon's China
Game<http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/china/peopleevents/pande07.html>
One of the first public hints of improved U.S.-China relations came on April
6, 1971, when the American Ping-Pong team, in Japan for the 31st World Table
Tennis Championship, received a surprise invitation from their Chinese
colleagues for an all-expense paid visit to the People's Republic.
*Time*magazine called it "The ping heard round the world." On April
10, nine
players, four officials, and two spouses stepped across a bridge from Hong
Kong to the Chinese mainland, ushering in an era of "Ping-Pong diplomacy."
They were the first group of Americans allowed into China since the
Communist takeover in 1949.

m a m