hoeboy (?)

Sun Dec 23 16:50:16 UTC 2007

> I suspect it's the same as "ho-boy"/"haut-boy", shown in Bartlett's
> 1860 _Dictionary of Americanisms_ (readable at Google Books), meaning
> "nightman", i.e., one whose occupation is the removal of excrement
> from privies.

I think that Doug Wilson has the answer.

It doesn't appear that "ho-boy" is in the OED, Mathews' Dictionary of Americanisms, or DARE -- though since it's a word mostly in oral circulation, the spelling isn't fixed and so it's hard to be sure that it's not under something I haven't guessed at.  But it's not among the words beginning "hob" in Mathews or DARE, and doesn't turn up searching OED full-text for "ho boy" or "hobey".

As for an antedating:
        . . . the carelessness and insufferable conduct of our black night-gentry; commonly called Hobey-men. . . .
New-York Evening Post, June 7, 1820, p. 2, col. 3. [= night-soil men]

It also appears in a memoir of NYC published in 1945, so the word was still being used in the 1870s or 1880s.

GAT

George A. Thompson