WONY (Word of NEXT Year)? Diavlog Revisited

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Dec 23 21:03:49 UTC 2007

At 12/23/2007 02:46 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Dec 23, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Joel Berson wrote:
>
>>... Wasn't the word that prompted the "vl cluster spotting" chain
>>"vlog"?  And no, I will refrain from telling you the various
>>Dutch/Afrikaans words either.
>
>Joel, did you want to stick to the form of that last sentence?  if so,
>what's the "either" doing?  (and the "no", for that matter?)

I cannot defend my last sentence strongly, you must excuse it as a
non-peer-reviewed (until now!) email submission.  But to explain, the
"no" and "either" were in response to the following sentence from
Dennis Preston:
>please don't write in and tell me about the "English" word
>Vladivostok and other borrowed stuff)
which I unfortunately snipped from my response.  (My "no" should
probably have been "yes", but I think I had started my thinking with
"no, I will not tell you ... ".  Like the cultural differences in the
varying responses to a question put in the negative.)

Joel