Another initial "vl"

James Harbeck jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Dec 28 02:07:30 UTC 2007

>I think I'll start a Polish restaurant and call it "Fog" (in Polish
>of course) just so y'all can say that you've spotted a /mgw/ onset
>cluster in English.

Why go halfway? Specialize in Georgian cuisine. "Tbilisi" is tame for
Georgian; "tskhendze" is just par for the course; I remember a
Georgian lullaby that included the word "vktbe" (that wouldn't put me
to sleep!). Call your restaurant _that_! (And yet somehow I have a
feeling Anglophones wouldn't realize it with the hoped-for [vktb]
cluster...)

James Harbeck.