Another initial "vl"

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Dec 28 12:41:36 UTC 2007

As I suspected, many apparent clusters in Georgian (which has a rich
inventory of clusters and does not need to be exaggerated) are not
clusters at all. All sonorants (and /v/ is classified as one) ,
including also  /m/, /n/, /r/, and /l/, can be syllable peaks. In
fact, in certain environments an allophone of /v/ is a considerably
reduced /w/-like rounding of a preceding consonant. Vowel epenthesis
also breaks up many apparent clusters. Most of this rich consonant
clustering comes about a a result of a rich affixing morphology and
is not present in root morphemes.

Go here

www.lotpublications.nl/publish/articles/000205/bookpart.pdf

for a thorough treatment.