YBQ Review in American Speech

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 28 15:01:52 UTC 2007

Charlie,

That sounds plausible.  I guess that makes the repeated error more understandable, although the end result is still pretty unsettling.
And then John Baker has admitted to a tendency to type YBK instead of YBQ (for Yale Book of Kwotations, no doubt).

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Charles Doyle [cdoyle at UGA.EDU]
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 8:37 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: YBQ Review in American Speech

Regarding the abbreviation "YBC" for "Yale Book of Cwotations":

It's not hard to imagine that, at a late stage of things, a decision was made to replace the title (subsequent to its first occurrence) with initials--then the typo "YBC" was entered and a "replace all" command given. And no further proofreading was undertaken . . . .

--Charlie