The case of the missing particle

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 29 23:02:31 UTC 2007

Which I suppose could have been written originally with a much shorter
object clause which the reporter then expanded without noticing the weight
violation and double "out". ... But I'm finding it hard to imagine.

OTOH, as I read this aloud to my wife just now, she didn't hear the problem
of the missing "out" till I pointed it ... uh-huh. So it may have slipped
past the writer, too.

She points out yet a third issue: Given the context of the preceding
paragraph --

Investigators found a shoeprint on the railing in front of the exhibit and
are trying to determine if it matches the attack victims' shoes amid
speculation that the men might have taunted the tiger.

-- are they talking about a tree limb or a human limb?

Missing particle, waffling gender, unclear referent. End of the inning.

m a m