"Blawg"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Dec 30 18:38:37 UTC 2007

Of dInIs's generation, I too pronounce "fog" with an open "O" and "smog"--at least some of the time--with /a/. I remember being intrigued upon discovering (when I was in my early 20's) that J. R. R. Tolkein had named his dragon "Smaug."

My mother, from the lowlands of Arkansas (specifically, the town of Hope!), insisted on /a/ for "hog" and "log" (as well as "sausage" and "laundry")--but not "dog" or "frog"--whereas my father, from the hills of Arkansas, had open "O" for all those words.

--Charlie