"Blawg"

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Dec 30 23:37:07 UTC 2007

Tsk, tsk, Tom. And here I thought someone who preaches greater consistency in the sound/spelling correspondence would be offended by such variability in the phonemic assignment of <og>. Shouldn't you praise those of us who use just one vowel in all <og> words?

Matt Gordon
Proud "awe" repressor

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Tom Zurinskas
Sent: Sun 12/30/2007 4:18 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re: "Blawg"

I agree.  I'd say your ideolect is standard American English for the words you've cited.  What is the history of pronunciation of these words.

The problem is that some folks are repressing the sound "awe" and replacing it with "ah" wherever it exists.  They just do not want to say that sound.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.