"Blawg"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 31 08:41:32 UTC 2007

You got me there.  Just like Georgians, I say "Go Dawgs", but my other "og's" are mostly "ah's" not "awe's" (fog, smog, log, hog - in truespel ~faag, ~smaag, ~laag, ~haag).   But words like "analog" and "dialog" are "awe" words.

The term "open o" throws me in describing the sound of "awe".  In English the sound is mostly spelled with an "a" as in tradstreeng "al" (ball, always).  So why not call it "open a".  Combine the "al" forms with "aw" and "au" tradstreengs and you find twice as many words for that sound spelled by letter "a" than spelled by letter "o" in running text (truespel book 4)  And what's so "open" about the sound "awe".  Seems like "ah" opens the mouth more.  "Awe" pinches it in a bit.

It would be great if letter "o" were consistent, but it's very inconsistent.  It's the primary letter to spell the "ah" sound, but also for "long o" (as in "toe"), and for "long u" (as in to) for frequency counts in running text.  In fact, in truespel the letter "o" is not used alone to spell a sound because it's often not intuitive what sound letter "o" represents.

See truespel.com - and the 4 truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at authorhouse.com.