DARE

Mon Dec 31 15:48:07 UTC 2007

I believe that someone among us is on the editorial staff of DARE.

If DARE is interested in my notes on words & phrases, mostly from NYC newspapers, 1750-1880, but other stuff too, let me know.

Or, indeed, anyone else.

400+ pages, no doubt 1500++ items, probably more.  Not everything gets posted here (ADS-L).  My method, and a very methodical method it is, is to make a note whenever a writer indicates that he is flaunting a new word -- by putting it into italics, or in quotes, or by intruducing it with "as the Americans say" or "to use a Kentucky term".  On further review, these words sometimes turn out to be well documented from 50 years previous, but usually they are of some interest.

GAT

George A. Thompson