Molly Ivins quotes

Michael Israel michael.israel at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 1 04:33:51 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> At 10:50 PM -0500 1/31/07, Baker, John wrote:
> >         My favorite is "he was born on third base and thought he hit a
> >triple."  That's attributed to Ivins in reference to Bush (pere or
> >fils), though I haven't tracked down whether it was actually Ivins who
> >said it.  It looks like some people attribute it to Ann Richards.  I
> >suspect the aphorism predated the application to Bush in any case.
>
> Richards used the line about pere at a Democratic National
> Convention, although I don't know if she wrote it or borrowed it for
> the occasion.

The text of Richards' speech to the 1988 Convention does not
seem to include the line, at least not as reproduced here:

http://gos.sbc.edu/r/richards.html

But it does have the equally memorable line:

"Poor George! He can't help it. He was born with a silver foot
in his mouth."

-mi