Molly Ivins quotes

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 1 17:08:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Baker, John wrote:

>        My favorite is "he was born on third base and thought he hit a
> triple."  That's attributed to Ivins in reference to Bush (pere or
> fils), though I haven't tracked down whether it was actually Ivins who
> said it.  It looks like some people attribute it to Ann Richards.  I
> suspect the aphorism predated the application to Bush in any case.

The sensationally thorough Yale Book of Quotations has the following:

[Of George H. W. Bush's inherited wealth:]  He is a man who was born on
third base and thinks he hit a triple.
        Jim Hightower, Speech at Democratic National Convention, Atlanta,
Ga., 19 July 1988.  "Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" was
used earlier (about another oil heir) in _Fortune_, 30 May 1983.

I suppose it is inaccurate to have referred to Bush pere as an "oil heir."

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986