Modern Meaning of "Gory" Not in OED

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 4 13:20:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> We don't have anything earlier than this in our electronic
> files. But I've put in a drafting suggestion for this, thanks.

The earliest occurrence of "gory details" yielded by Google Print appears
to be in 1873 James Madison Haswell _Napoleon III_ 268.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986