Loan proverbs

JAMES H COPELAND jamescopeland20 at MSN.COM
Wed Feb 7 21:47:04 UTC 2007

You might consider "laborare est orare", "to labor is to pray"
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles Doyle<mailto:cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
  To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
  Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:28 PM
  Subject: Loan proverbs

  Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>
  Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU<mailto:cdoyle at UGA.EDU>>

  Our recent ruminations about "Inter faeces et urinam nascimur" got me thinking about the (not-very-large?) category that I'll call LOAN PROVERBS--proverbs uttered in a foreign language within English discourse--as distinct from "calqued" proverbs or proverbs that simply have analogs in other tongues or pseudo-foreign constructions like "Nil illigitimi carborundum." And "true" proverbs--propositions consisting of entire sentences--not just phrases or idioms.

  Last night on TV Dr. House said "Veni, vidi, vici." Then there are "C'est la vie" and "Che sara sara." "Cogito ergo sum"?

  What others?

  --Charlie