Austintatious (Austin-tatious) (1970s?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 8 08:20:18 UTC 2007

Austintatious--23,400 Google hits
Austen-tatious--13,000 Google hits
Austentatious--10,200 Google hits
Austintacious--5,180 Google hits
Austin-tatious--3,530 Google hits
Austentacious--1,430 Google hits
Maybe someone has an "Austintatious" hit on FACTIVA or another database? It
means a pretentious display of the city of Austin (or of Jane Austen). The
term is used a lot in these parts (Austin, Texas), but is not recorded in the
HDAS.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/austintatious_austin_tatious/
_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/austintatious_austin_tatious/)

Entry from February 08, 2007
Austintatious (Austin-tatious)

Austin is the capital of Texas; perhaps some people feel that it’s  “
ostentatious.” The term “Austintatious” (or “Austin-tatious” or sometimes  spelled “
Austintacious") has been used as an adjective and as a business name.  The
term dates from at least the mid-1970s.

_Merriam-Webster_ (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ostentatious)
Main  Entry: os·ten·ta·tious
Pronunciation: -sh&s
Function:  adjective
: marked by or fond of conspicuous or vainglorious and sometimes  pretentious
display

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0670122637&id=MwseAAAAMAAJ&q=austintatious&dq=austintatious&ie=ISO-8859-1&pgis=1)
Ancient Lights
by Davis Grubb
New York: Viking  Press
1982
Pg. 246:
I do find Texans so—so Austintatious.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0807849200&id=R6KBKY7stGwC&pg=RA2-PA97&lpg=RA2-PA97&ots=Y3Yd_vhSa-&dq=austintatious&ie=ISO-8859-1&sig
=liMDNaxY0dtb7_953M5RC2NzAzY)
Torching the Fink Books and Other Essays on Vernacular  Culture
by Archie Green
Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North  Carolina Press
2001
Pg. 97:
Jack Jaxon offers the last picture of  the “Cozmic Cowboy”—a cartoon with
running text published in the Austin  Sun (March 11, 1976) as a “handy guide for
out-of-staters” (fig. 10). A  “genuine bad-ass redneck Texas cowpoke” stares
down a hairy, “austintatious,”  jewelry-bedecked dude, while the artist
explains their sartorial contrast.

_Google  Groups: rec.arts.books_
(http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.books/browse_thread/thread/fe5e7edee6690403/7199be8bd9071752?lnk=st&q=austintatiou
s&rnum=56&hl=en#7199be8bd9071752)