"phthonic," "phthonos"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Feb 8 15:35:12 UTC 2007

Not in OED.

  _Phthonic_  (Of humor, laughter, etc.) founded on or characterized by cruelty or malice.
  _Phthonos_ Cruelty or malice in or as the basis of a kind of humor.

  1987 Ronald de Sousa _The Rationality of Emotion_ (MIT Press) 275 : A certain kind of mirth, which I call _phthonic_ from a Greek word meaning "malicious envy," allows scope for wrongness in at least two different ways. Phthonic mirth need have no component of wit.

  _Ibid._ 289: Phthonic laughter...is particularly susceptible to moral condemnation....I borrow from Plato the word _phthonos_, which means something like "malicious envy" (_Philebus_, 47e).

  Ibid. 290: But how is the distinction between phthonos and wit to be drawn?...A rape joke will do: M. visits the hockey team. When she emerges she complainsd that she has been gang-raped. Wishful thinking....The phthonic element in a joke requires endorsement....The phthonic makes us laugh only insofar as the assumptions on which it is based are attitudes actually shared.

  _Ibid. 294: I speculate that each is an essential element, linked with the evocation of some frightening evil, of true phthonic laughter.

  JL

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.