Further Antedating of "Free World"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 10 16:07:01 UTC 2007

I have previously pointed out that, prior to the Cold War usage, "free
world" had a usage meaning "world not dominated by the Axis."  I posted a
1941 citation for the earlier usage; here is a 1940 one:

1940 _Current History and Forum_ Dec. 32 (Periodicals Archive Online)
Toward this end the United Jewish Appeal was established.  Its success is
evidenced in its achievements, and it has won the respect of the entire
free world.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986