"Nipples to the wind" & "Put on your big-girl panties and deal with it"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 14 09:24:55 UTC 2007

I've heard it used in AAE when you ask someone to leave your home:  "Let the door knob hit you where the good Lord split you."

  Margaret

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  "... [L]et the door hit you where Mother Nature split you."

There's a BE version of this that reads:

"Don't let the screen door hit you where the Good Lord split you."

As a native Texan, I'd like to claim this version for Texas, too, but
I've heard it in the wild everywhere that I've ever lived, not to
mention on recordings of stand-up routines, in movies, and on TV shows
marketed to a black audience.

-Wilson

On 2/12/07, Bapopik at aol.com wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject: "Nipples to the wind" & "Put on your big-girl panties and deal
> with it"
>
> Here are a few interesting phrases, supposedly Texan or Southern. "Nipples=20
> to the wind"??
> _http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20070118-9999-lz1mc18nipple.=
> ht
> ml_=20
> (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20070118-9999-lz1mc18nipple.=
> html)=20
> =20
> 'Nipples to the Wind' opens today in Vista
> By Pat Sherman
> TODAY'S LOCAL NEWS =20
> January 18, 2007 =20
> Although it may sound like the latest title at Deja Vu Love Boutique,=20
> stand-up comedian Paula Coco won't be baring anything but her Texas roots d=
> uring =E2=80=9C
> Nipples to the Wind,=E2=80=9D presented on two North County stages starting=
> this week.=20
> =20
> (...)
> The salty stage production addresses some mature themes, but the title is a=
> n=20
> old Southern expression that means =E2=80=9CHead up, chin out,=E2=80=9D or a=
> s a popular=20
> Texas saying has it, =E2=80=9CPut on your big-girl panties and deal with it=
> .=E2=80=9D=20
> _http://www.clusterflock.org/2007/01/an_oldtimey_texas_saying.html_=20
> (http://www.clusterflock.org/2007/01/an_oldtimey_texas_saying.html)=20
> =20
> An Old-Timey Texas Saying
> =20
> =20
> Born that way and had a relapse.=20
> ...=20
> ...=20
> ...=20
> _"Nipples to the Wind" - El Portal Theatre_=20
> (http://www.goldstarevents.com/events/event/11383.html) Nipples to the=20=
> wind is a quirky Texan catchphrase=20
> meaning flying by the seat of your pants, and it perfectly describes this=20
> funny new play straight outta ...
> www.goldstarevents.com/events/event/11383.html - 10k=20
> ...=20
> ...=20
> ...=20
> _The Dick from Texas_=20
> (http://bentmywookie.blogspot.com/2006/02/dick-from-texas.html) =20
> 19 Feb 2006 by Jacob =20
> As the Texas saying goes, 'the mall's open but ain't nobody shopping'. Now,=
> =20
> I=20
> know what you're thinking. You're thinking, 'it was an accident that could=20
> be =20
> made by anyone. Besides, the man he shot was fine. ...
> _B is for Blasphemy - http://bentmywookie.blogspot.com_=20
> (http://bentmywookie.blogspot.com/)=20
> [...]

-----
-Sam'l Clemens